LIFE PIECES TO MASTERPIECES
I am fortunate enough to serve as the National Spokesperson for a great charity based out of Washington, D.C. called Life Pieces to Master Pieces (LPTM). LPTM is a non-profit organization that helps underprivileged kids use art to get off the streets. It provides several after school programs for students and urges them to discover and activate their creative abilities.
My first experience with LPTM was back in 2007 when I was asked to stop by and visit with the kids. Without realizing it, I spent the entire afternoon there trying to paint and draw. I enjoyed talking with the staff, but more importantly I got to act like a kid and have fun. I was blown away with my experience there.
Over the next year or so, I would stop in every few months to say hello and see how things were going - it really felt like home to me. I was raised by a single parent so I can relate to some of the issues the kids are facing. The connection was there from the start and I was compelled to do what I could to make an impact on their lives.
On June 24, 2008 I was named the National Spokesperson for Life Pieces to Masterpieces at a small reception in Washington, D.C. and it was a truly humbling experience. I am proud to help this great organization continue their fine work and support our disadvantaged kids.
Please take the time to browse the website for Life Pieces (www.lifepieces.org) and you will see the invaluable things they do and how they positively impact our youth.
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND KRIS JENKINS FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIP FUND
I have launched my own scholarship fund at the University of Maryland to benefit the Terps football program. There are countless great players that have come through the school and I would like to give back to the place where it all started for me. If you would like to contribute to my scholarship fund, please hit me up through the “Contact” page and I will give you the necessary information. Anybody who donates will receive a free autographed picture.
I recently volunteered to be in a PSA supporting the MillionTreesNYC Campaign, an initiative spearheaded by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. The goal of this campaign is to plant 1 million trees across the City's five boroughs over the next decade. By planting 1 million trees, New York City can increase its urban forest by an astounding 20%, while achieving the many quality-of-life benefits that come with planting trees. The City of New York will plant 60% of trees in parks and other public spaces. The other 40% will come from private organizations, homeowners, and community organizations. Please help me and Mayor Bloomberg in our efforts to make this a better environment for our kids! For more information, please go to: www.milliontreesnyc.org